Skip to main content

Women's and Men's Pre-Assembly Event (day 1)

The WCC has a series of pre-assembly events for youth, indigenous peoples, the Ecumenical Disability Advocates Network, and traditionally for women. I've aged out of the youth, and I have done gender justice stuff before, so I signed up for the women's pre-assembly event. By the final email prior to coming to Busan, it had become the women's and men's pre-assembly event.

Now, I have known people to be overly inclusive, so I almost suppressed an eye-roll, until I looked at the agenda. Awesome. This became an event on gender, so that men and women had gender-specific breakouts. We as men and women experience and contribute to the gender divide differently, so I think this was a brilliant move.

I managed to get on the shuttle after the one I wanted to make (I just couldn't pull myself together in time), and when I got on the shuttle, I saw about five people I knew from other meetings, including the Rev. Hannah Lee of the United Church of Canada (she had attended an event I planned when working with the Common Ground Project at McCormick Seminary). I saw a few more by the time I got off. We saw this when we got off the shuttle.

Cool, right? And when I got into the pre-assembly event, I saw Aruna Gnanadason, a WCC staff person I first met in 1999 at my first WCC event; Meredith Coleman-Tobias, a friend from Atlanta; Dr. Cheryl Sanders, who I know from work with the Fund for Theological Education (FTE); and a bunch of women I know through the Pacific Asian North American Asian Women in Theology and Ministry (PANAAWTM) and alumni of McCormick Seminary (who are now PROK ministers!). 

At the event itself, we had a lovely welcome from Korean sisters, including this. 


I played some Korean drums in my day, so that was fun. 

We heard from the WCC general secretary, and I ran into my friend the Rev. Garland Pierce, whom I know when he was National Council of Churches staff for the Pacific Asian American and Canadian Christian Educators (PAACCE), and now works for the WCC. Then we had lunch. 

A UCC pastor, the Rev. Sarah Lund, whom I know through my work with the Transition into Ministry program, invited me and Evie to lunch with this group of Korean women Anglican priests. First of all, there aren't too many of these women ordained as priests. Second, they are just really cool people. I got to listen to Sarah and Evie and one of the priests talk about the stigma around mental health, and ministry in the context of people who have family members with mental health issues, or who themselves need help beyond what the church provides. 

We headed back into plenary, and got to engage with other women in some interesting conversation. I met the aunt of an intern at the Presbyterian UN Office, and a woman from South Africa who works with people living with HIV (we are going to be friends after this is over, I told her, after our conversation regarding militarization and its effect on a culture of violence). I got to meet many great folks.

What matters to me is not just meeting cool people, or seeing people I knew before.

This is what matters: the Christian family has diverse concerns, experiences, and gifts. This gathering reminds me of how we are connected; how the concerns of a few on one continent pertain to the concerns of a few that I know on my continent. Our family has always been big, but we don't always act like it. 

I hope I act like it even after we leave.

Now to rest, after a light supper with some good PCUSA women: Toddie Peters, Sara Lisherness, and Linda Valentine.

P.S. A fun note: Dr. Rebecca Todd Peters founded the National Network of Presbyterian College Women, the organization I hold responsible for helping me see the relevance and beauty of the church after I had given up on it. I have heard about her and read her work for years. I finally got to meet her. What an honor.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing the increased strength of this circle of faith. Dinner looks deliciously healthy! Attended the final session of the Common Ground Project with Emily & Annette...Looking forward to your additional posts...Namaste

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sermon on the Occasion of the Ordination of the Rev. Sarah Perkins

I had the honor of preaching at the ordination of my friend and colleague Sarah today. We were an all-women ordination commission. And it was lovely. Below is the sermon. (Note that since Sarah's mother is a New Testament professor, I opted not to preach on a NT passage - I couldn't bear to mess that one up. LOL.) Isaiah43:16-21 There is a trap waiting out there for ministers in the United States. Do you not perceive it? The trap that ministers fall into is confusing the Good News with Nice News. Sarah and I were at a conference a few years ago where the Rev. Jose Morales preached on this distinction, and it has stayed with me. I’m not all that opposed to nice. When I think of nice, I think of a vacation place I once stayed at with a garden wall covered with tiny pots of succulents and a small bamboo garden. I think of the time I was helpful to a flight attendant trying to handle bags in the overhead compartment on a flight packed full of

Generations and Cornerstones

Wednesday, May 10 Presbyterian Center Chapel 1 Peter 2:2-10
 I hate it when people preach about buildings, and often using this passage. Buildings are so 1950s. It’s 20-freaking-17 and we’re going to talk about this cornerstone concept. And buildings. I hate myself. But it turns out infrastructure is a real thing still, so here goes. Not being in construction or engineering or architecture, I had to look this up. Using a stone to anchor a corner is a big deal. The cornerstone has to have an exact 90-degree angle. You might need to flip it around or try another stone to find that right angle. Buildings made of stone are beautiful and sturdy. A solid foundation. After all, the author says, this is the “chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.” This time in the early church is about building identity. A solid foundational identity as a pe

The Rev. Joey Lee

Welcome to the blog series celebrating the 2015 Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, inspired by the "Our New Day Begun" series celebrating Black History Month by the Rev. Tawnya Denise Anderson. This month, you will read profiles of Asian Pacific American Presbyterian leaders, spanning many generations and ethnicities. Check back throughout May for more profiles! 
A look at other posts: Presbyterians Celebrating Asian Pacific American Heritage Month The Rev. Charlene Han Powell The Rev. Phil Tom The Rev. Bruce Reyes-Chow The Rev. Yena Hwang The Rev Joann Haejong Lee The Rev. Shawn Kang The Rev. Neal Presa The Rev. Jim Huang Joey Lee is the Executive Presbyter of the  Presbytery of San Jose , and lives in San Jose, California. Are you a “cradle Presbyterian,” or did you come to the tradition later in life? I am a “cradle Presbyterian,” and God willing, will complete that phrase “…to grave Presbyterian.” I was baptized as an infant at Montview Boulevar