Skip to main content

On Waiting.


Here's a reflection I gave at yesterday's chapel service at the Presbyterian Center. 


The Scripture passage is James 5:7-10. Click here to read it. 

 --------

I am ok with waiting. I’ll wait for good food. I’ll wait for the homemade limoncello to be ready. I’ll wait for the weather to change.

At the same time, I hate waiting. How long do we have to wait until this country comes up with a real answer to homelessness? How long do we have to wait until violence against women is no longer a fact of life? This waiting is, honestly, ridiculous. It’s all just so eschatological.

Wait, be patient, says the author of James, presumably to those experiencing misery at the time of this writing. Be patient until the coming of the Lord (God is definitely coming back, by the way, the people are assured). This passage, out of context, reminds me of the southern clergy who wrote to the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, telling him that he and his colleagues just needed to be patient. Wait a little. This reminds me of the strategy of certain organizations working to eliminate G6.0106b, telling openly gay and lesbian candidates for ministry to wait. Be patient with the church. This reminds me of President Obama telling young undocumented immigrants to be patient, even as they risk arrest and deportation in order to remind him of the urgent need for immigration reform. Be patient. I’m trying to work with Congress.

This is a time of year when it seems like all we talk about is waiting. It was agony as a kid, wanting to tear into the gifts showered on me by overindulgent grandparents. What made this waiting ok for me was the lovely gift of the darkness. We in the U.S. often associate darkness with bad things. You know, racism. Or being surrounded by the unknown. We have plenty of narratives about things that jump out from the dark: thieves, murderers, aliens, zombies, spiders, demons.

But as a child, I loved being the first person up every morning in Advent. I loved going downstairs in the dark, plugging in the lights of the Christmas tree, and lying down underneath them, breathing in the scent of the tree, pagan symbol that it may be. The darkness was beautiful. For the farmer, the darkness is good. Seeds need a dark place to be nurtured until they put out shoots.

Advent is that space where good things are nurtured. We are waiting for a mini-version of the promise to which the author of James refers.

Be patient now. We’ll get through this Advent/Christmas season. Churches will start returning our calls again. We can escape horrible cheesy liturgically incorrect music everywhere we go.

And wait. There is so much wrong in the world, inside these walls, in our families, in our cities. While we wait for it to change, we strengthen our hearts. We do not grumble against each other. And we take our example from the prophets, who worked for change while they waited, day after day after day.


Amen.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sermon on the Occasion of the Ordination of the Rev. Sarah Perkins

I had the honor of preaching at the ordination of my friend and colleague Sarah today. We were an all-women ordination commission. And it was lovely. Below is the sermon. (Note that since Sarah's mother is a New Testament professor, I opted not to preach on a NT passage - I couldn't bear to mess that one up. LOL.) Isaiah43:16-21 There is a trap waiting out there for ministers in the United States. Do you not perceive it? The trap that ministers fall into is confusing the Good News with Nice News. Sarah and I were at a conference a few years ago where the Rev. Jose Morales preached on this distinction, and it has stayed with me. I’m not all that opposed to nice. When I think of nice, I think of a vacation place I once stayed at with a garden wall covered with tiny pots of succulents and a small bamboo garden. I think of the time I was helpful to a flight attendant trying to handle bags in the overhead compartment on a flight packed full of

Generations and Cornerstones

Wednesday, May 10 Presbyterian Center Chapel 1 Peter 2:2-10
 I hate it when people preach about buildings, and often using this passage. Buildings are so 1950s. It’s 20-freaking-17 and we’re going to talk about this cornerstone concept. And buildings. I hate myself. But it turns out infrastructure is a real thing still, so here goes. Not being in construction or engineering or architecture, I had to look this up. Using a stone to anchor a corner is a big deal. The cornerstone has to have an exact 90-degree angle. You might need to flip it around or try another stone to find that right angle. Buildings made of stone are beautiful and sturdy. A solid foundation. After all, the author says, this is the “chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.” This time in the early church is about building identity. A solid foundational identity as a pe

The Rev. Joey Lee

Welcome to the blog series celebrating the 2015 Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, inspired by the "Our New Day Begun" series celebrating Black History Month by the Rev. Tawnya Denise Anderson. This month, you will read profiles of Asian Pacific American Presbyterian leaders, spanning many generations and ethnicities. Check back throughout May for more profiles! 
A look at other posts: Presbyterians Celebrating Asian Pacific American Heritage Month The Rev. Charlene Han Powell The Rev. Phil Tom The Rev. Bruce Reyes-Chow The Rev. Yena Hwang The Rev Joann Haejong Lee The Rev. Shawn Kang The Rev. Neal Presa The Rev. Jim Huang Joey Lee is the Executive Presbyter of the  Presbytery of San Jose , and lives in San Jose, California. Are you a “cradle Presbyterian,” or did you come to the tradition later in life? I am a “cradle Presbyterian,” and God willing, will complete that phrase “…to grave Presbyterian.” I was baptized as an infant at Montview Boulevar